Tuesday 3 September 2019

Time for Growth and Change.....again♥



Tattered Rose is my baby, so to speak. It was an idea that came out of my head back in 1998, when there was no Internet shopping to speak of and no other stores were carrying the Parisian and vintage influenced clothing we were about to be selling in our new shop. We were different (the store, that is) so it took a while for people to understand the aesthetic we were trying to share with our potential customers. 

We had to answer so many questions from those who dared to peruse our shop.....Yes, people DO wear this stuff. No, we don't get our clothing from dead people. Sorry, we only have one of that item....etc.

Since Tattered Rose was a spin off store from my romantic western store, Way Out West, there was still a hint of western influence amidst the feminine, lacy, ruffled, velvet clothing Tattered Rose was selling.  

Throughout the years, we have changed with the times and styles slightly but we have never really veered from our romantic sensibility. Even our Sympli the Best line, with all of their practical, wearable clothing, was chosen for the more romantic styles that blended well with the rest of our clothing.

The owner of Tattered Rose (that would be moi) in the last few years, has had some major changes in her (my) personal life. It took a while to adjust and to get some things out of my system, which meant that my designing took a back seat. It was difficult for my brain to even think about new ideas and sit down and design them while I was out all the time with friends enjoying my new found freedom.

But, as with most things, my life settled down again. I began to dream about clothing designs once again and imagine the endless possibilities of what could be.

Which brings us to this past week. After talking with a few of my customers, who are also dear friends, I had an epiphany. One morning, as I couldn't go back to sleep, the design ideas came flooding into my head so I got up and began sketching these clothing designs. It is a really new perspective. It is modern, urban but still romantic in a way. There are fewer ruffles...sometimes none, even. Great silhouettes and fabrics.....items that a modern woman would want in her wardrobe. From tops, to jackets to dresses and bags.....a cohesive, urban, feminine take on fashion....from my designer brain to the cutting/sewing tables to Tattered Rose.

I truly am inspired. I feel like I have (finally) gotten the wind back in my sails. The ideas won't shut off and I cannot make them fast enough. Everything I make is made by my hands...one garment or accessory at a time. No mass production.

Over the next few weeks, new items will be trickling into the store and live right alongside our existing romantic and urban wear.

God didn't make me a genius. But he sure gave me the love of creating. I am a clothing designer and I am putting my education and experience to good use. Oh sure, I have made and sold a ton of clothing over the years but this time, it seems so much more clearly defined. 

We are even considering having a website.........finally!

Stay tuned for more urban romantic clothing from Tattered Rose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment