Friday 6 September 2019

The Feminine Waist


One thing that separates men and women, aside from their brains and how they work, is the shape of the waist.

As a designer and lover of clothing and history,  I know that the feminine shape of the nipped in waist is very important. It is immediately obvious and so appealing in it's pure depiction of the female form.

If you are one of those fortunate women who were born to have a narrow torso and/or shapely waist, you get to wear a corset with reckless aplomb....or a trench coat with the belt tied snugly to evoke femininity at work in a most charming way.

I personally have never experienced that due to a wide rib cage. But since this was my Mother's shape, I can live with that because I carry her around with me everywhere I go.

Besides, I get to live vicariously through my designs and vision for the shop (Tattered Rose) by showing the most feminine clothing silhouettes. 

I adore  that look of the shapely, nipped in waist that flows out to a full skirted whatever. Reminiscent of Dior's 1947 New Look, which is one of my all time favourite shapes for women's clothing and perhaps why I love dress forms so much, especially the Victorian ones with the tiny waists.


For those of us who never had or no longer have that small waist, don't fret....there are ways of giving the illusion of a smaller waist and ultra feminine shape. Seaming details do wonders for the feminine form and are always part of our repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment