Tuesday 1 November 2016

Follow Your True Heart



(Photograph by Breanne Marie; Makeup by Chelsea; Hair by Dani; clothing by Carol Simon)

Have you ever wondered how or why Tattered Rose got it's name? I've been asked many times so here is a short version of my story.

I grew up on a small farm in northern Ontario with 3 brothers and two parents (my much older sister was off doing her own thing already)

Being a middle child, I didn't get that much attention except for the attention I could grab by being a silly, funny girl.  My Dad used to call me his "funny one" and that made me feel loved. To me, he was a pillar of strength and honesty.

I observed the way he lived his life. Worked very hard, never complaining about how much he had to work to keep his family going. He came from a long line of farmers and so he always had a garden planted where we could eat raw veggies from the ground topped of with a serving of fresh raspberries for dessert if we were hungry.

My Mom was a fixture in the home...she cooked and cleaned and worked very hard too but my Dad was less accessible and therefore more of a mystery to me. The clothes he wore were functional and never new, it seemed. He would wear shirts with patched and mended holes because he didn't believe in buying new things just because the old ones were a bit worn.


I would often "borrow" my Dad's work shirts and work boots to wear, even though they were way too big for me. I loved the feel of them but it wouldn't be until much later that I would realize it was the humble nature of these mended clothes with years of patina that would be forever in my heart and soul.

Throughout the years, I have worn new clothing and in the past 21 years, most of the clothing I purchased for the shop has been new. But I have always known that tattered, ripped, frayed, lovingly worn clothing is where my true heart lies.

And so it is with great enthusiasm and pleasure that I let you in on my plans for the future of Tattered Rose. Even though it has been stated before, it has become more clear than ever that Tattered Rose must once again live up to it's name.

So we will have LESS mass produced & new and WAY more vintage, one-of-a-kind, pre-loved, faded grandeur in our humble little shop. But don't worry....it will be unlike anything you may have ever thought you always wanted but didn't know until you saw it....in Tattered Rose.

We are SO very pleased with this detour from the norm that will lead us right back to our humble beginnings. Consider it a restoration of design....and there will be something for just about everyone (including new)

We hope you will come along as we explore this facet of our design aesthetic which has recently been a little bit under-explored.

With love,

Tattered Rose

2 comments:

  1. Ooh can't wait to see the "vintage" new look! Thanks for sharing your story✨💛✨😻😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a comfy, worn out, preloved, dearly loved shirt. Wonderful storytelling and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete